[Photo.27/(003)] Towers in Hani ‘aul’
View of two tapering rectangular stone towers set among ruined buildings on hillside. An ‘aul’ is the name given to mountain villages in the Caucasus. Pencilled note on mount reads: ‘Towers at Khanee between the Assa and the Terek on way from Tsori to Djerakh. Note the crosses high up in masonry.’ Reproduced in J.F. Baddeley, ‘The Rugged Flanks of Caucasus’ (2 vols, OUP, 1940), vol. 1, p. 218, there captioned ‘Towers at Khanee.
Part of a collection of eight loose prints on decorative card mounts with photographer’s logo (L. Rogozinski, Vladikavaz) at bottom left corner. Captioned in Russian in the negative. Original negative not held.